This webpage releases the semiotic structure annotations of music pieces produced at INRIA-Rennes / IRISA (CNRS & Univ. Rennes 1) according to the methodology detailed in :
- Frédéric Bimbot, Emmanuel Deruty, Gabriel Sargent and Emmanuel Vincent, Methodology and conventions for the latent semiotic annotation of music structure, Report, 2012, PI-1993 (pdf)
The annotations were produced manually mainly by 2 annotators also co-authors of the above reference article.
The annotations are gathered in separate datasets downloadable at the following links, or by the Subversion software (recommended) with the following command :
- RWC Pop : 100 songs produced by AIST MIR research purposes ("20 songs with English lyrics performed in the style of popular music typical of songs on the American hit charts in the 1980s, and 80 songs with Japanese lyrics performed in the style of modern Japanese popular music typical of songs on the Japanese hit charts in the 1990s."). More information on the dataset (tracklist, original audio files...) can be found on the RWC Pop Database website.
- Eurovision 08-10 : 124 pop songs from the Eurovision song contest. The audio files correspond to the 3 "official albums" from the 2008, 2009 and 2010 editions available through regular sellers :
- 2008 (Belgrade), ref # 5 099921 699726 : 43 tracks
- 2009 (Moscow), ref # 5 099969 968020 : 42 tracks
- 2010 (Oslo), ref # 5 099964 171722 : 39 tracks
The tracklist is available here.
- Quaero-T6.5 09-11: 159 music pieces from various genres (pop, rock, rap, electro...) selected by IRCAM (for evaluation purposes) in the context of task 6.5 of the Quaero project. The list of titles considered in 2009, 2010 and 2011 is available here.
- RWC Genre : details and annotations available soon.
- IRISA.RWC-MDB-P-2012.SEMLAB_v003_full.zip (full)
- IRISA.RWC-MDB-P-2012.SEMLAB_v003_reduced.zip (reduced)
- IRISA.Eurovision-08-09-10.2012.SEMLAB_v002_full.zip (full)
- IRISA.Eurovision-08-09-10.2012.SEMLAB_v002_reduced.zip (reduced)
- IRISA.Quaero-09-10-11.2012.SEMLAB_full.zip (full)
- IRISA.Quaero-09-10-11.2012.SEMLAB_reduced.zip (reduced)
- IRISA.RWC-MDB-P-2001.BLOCKS_v001.zip (RWC POP annotations : structural borders only, July 2010, used in MIREX evaluation campaigns, 2010, 2011 and 2012)
- IRISA.Eurovision_2008_2009_2010.BLOCKS_v001.5.zip (structural borders only, October 2011, used in Quaero 6.5 evaluation campaigns, 2011 and 2012)
These annotations are provided for free to the research community. Any publication (oral or written) using these annotations is kindly asked to cite this website as the source of the data and [Bimbot 2012] as the supporting reference publication.
Users may be interested in knowing that these data have been used for evaluation in the Quaero project [Sargent 2013] and that an early version of the RWC Pop annotations was used as part of the MIREX 2010, 2011 and 2012 campaigns (structural segmentation task).
- Gabriel Sargent, Estimation de la structure des morceaux de musique par analyse multicritère et contrainte de régularité, Thèse de doctorat de l'Université de Rennes 1, February 2013.
- Frédéric Bimbot, Emmanuel Deruty, Gabriel Sargent and Emmanuel Vincent, Semiotic structure labeling of music pieces : concepts, methods and annotation conventions, in proceedings of ISMIR 2012 (pdf).
- Frédéric Bimbot, Emmanuel Deruty, Gabriel Sargent and Emmanuel Vincent, Complementary report to the article "Semiotic structure labeling of music pieces : concepts, methods and annotation conventions" (Proceedings ISMIR 2012), 2012. PI 1996 (pdf).
- Frédéric Bimbot, Emmanuel Deruty, Gabriel Sargent and Emmanuel Vincent, Methodology and resources for the structural segmentation of music pieces into autonomous and comparable blocks, in proceedings of ISMIR 2011 (pdf).
- Frédéric Bimbot, Olivier Le Blouch, Gabriel Sargent and Emmanuel Vincent, Decomposition into autonomous and comparable blocks : a structural description of music pieces, in proceedings of ISMIR 2010 (pdf).
Detailed informations and practical illustrations of the annotation conventions are provided in :
F. Bimbot, G. Sargent, E. Deruty; C. Guichaoua, E. Vincent : Semiotic description of music structure : an introduction to the Quaero/Metiss structural annotations. Proc. 53rd AES International Conference on Semantic Audio, London, 2014 (12 pages). Author accepted manuscript can be found at https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00931859.
Principal annotators : Frédéric BIMBOT, Gabriel SARGENT
Other contributors : Emmanuel DERUTY, Olivier LE BLOUCH, Emmanuel VINCENT
IRISA (CNRS-UMR 6074 & Univ. Rennes 1)
INRIA Rennes-Bretagne Atlantique,
e-mail : bimbot[at]irisa[dot]fr